Monday, March 23, 2009

One year ago (last Thursday)

Last Thursday, March 19, was the anniversary of the first day we met Sam. It is so hard for me to believe that a year has gone by since that day. I have so many clear memories of walking into that Russian hospital, and the surprise we felt to see Sam when we walked into the room (we were told they would be bringing him in later). My heart fell in love with him immediately, and it was so difficult to get back on an airplane, and leave our son in a hospital halfway around the world! Now, he's been home over nine months and we have found our "new normal."

Here are pictures from March 19, 2008 and 2009. The thing I love is the big smile on Sam's face now!



I've been thinking recently about how different things are now than they were on that day a year ago. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Then: After a half-hour of playing, Sam's face lit up when he saw his nurse return to get him. He reached for her immediately. I couldn't wait until Sam felt that way about me. Now: Mama is his favorite person in the world! If he sees me across the room, he calls my name and runs to me. It's a wonderful change!

Then: We really had no idea what to do with him. We read a book and played with some toys, but didn't know what he preferred to do. Now: We have discovered many new fun things to do as a family. We know that he loves music, stars, fire trucks, dogs, the park, Elmo, and too many other things to name. The key here is that we actually know what he loves!

Then:
We got to sleep all night through, and sleep in on the weekends. Now: What is sleeping in again? This is one of the changes of parenthood that isn't my favorite, but is still well worth it!

Then: We prayed together every day for God to protect our son and keep him safe until we could return to bring him home forever. Now: We get to pray with Sam every night, and tell him in person how much we love him and how glad we are that he is a part of our forever family.

Of course, there are countless other ways that our lives have changed. I'm so thankful for this amazing child that God brought to our family--hand-picked just for us!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

you did it! Way to update the blog, the name, the look. Its a little spice for your life!

Anonymous said...

Awesome - thanks for sharing

TheFrazers said...

What a sweet boy, Ben and Melissa! Drew and I are so excited to meet him...hopefully in San Destin in November. Take care

Heidi said...

Super fun post, Melissa--thanks for the update! Sam looks WONDERFUL!

Rachel said...

Great Update! Your entire story is a testimony of God's faithfulness. It certainly encourages me. Also, I have heard that someday we'll be able to sleep in again :)

~ The Coleman 5 said...

God is so good and you are so blessed- we all are! Thanks for sharing your thoughts--it brought tears of happiness to my eyes.

DNS said...

hey friends,
thought we would check in...hope all is well with you.

We miss you and look forward to hearing about your time in Tennessee.

hugs to you,
Shannon

p.s. Your blog looks great!! You will have to teach me when you come home...on the off-hand chance that I will actually write on our blog! :)