Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Got to Stand

I've been wanting to post since Mother's Day, but my mom was visiting. It was a wonderful blessing to have her here to celebrate Mother's Day, and she was so great in helping me run errands and prepare for our upcoming travel to Russia. Thanks Mom!

We went to church on Mother's Day this year for the first time in a few years. It had gotten too hard during the years of infertility. The hardest part was the time during the service when moms were asked to stand and be recognized. While I was always excited to recognize the moms in our circle of family and friends, it was hard to be one of the women in church who had to remain seated.

This year, we went to church with my mom. When they asked the moms and moms-to-be (I'm a little of both!) to stand and receive a carnation, I proudly stood next to my mom. It was a blessing to be able to think about my son in Russia while I waited for a child to bring me a flower, and to realize he'll be home and in my arms in just a little over a month.

But as I stood there, I also looked around and noticed the women who were still seated. I don't know their stories. I have no idea which women were single, which women aren't even trying to start a family yet, and whose hearts were broken by not being able to stand. But I said a quick prayer for them, and also asked God to keep my heart soft toward the women around me.

I am grateful for the churches around the country like my dad's church, who chose to give a flower to every woman as she exited the service--mom or not. I love the concept of celebrating all women on such an important day. On behalf of the hurting women in your congregations, I thank you.

Sam, I can't wait to celebrate Mother's Day with you next year! Thanks for making me a mom!

*Still no update on our wait for a visa invitation letter. Hoping to hear something soon!

6 comments:

Karen Clark said...

I totally understand the past pain of Mother's Day. It sounds like our journey to make a family has been similar. So, tell me your trip details--it would be so great to connect with you guys in Moscow before or after our court dates. You can email me personally at: kclark@centerpointechurch.com.

WE ARE MOMS! :0

DNS said...

Sam will be so proud to call you "mama" - and soon too! I am grateful to hear what your dad's church does to honor women; perhaps I wouldn't have skipped the last five years of Mother's Day. :)

Praying for the visas and precious Sam.

So glad to share this journey with you both,
Wyss Fam

The Dogs said...

Every time I see a new post on your blog I get so excited to the point of tears (and I am not an emotional person!). You are going to be an amazing mom and Sam is going to bring you so much joy.

We will be praying more diligently for the visas situation. I know God is going to come through!

Anonymous said...

We're praying everyday for you! You're the perfect mom for Samuel! :)

Jenn said...

The eternal rewards you and Ben have waiting for you are going to be so overwhelming, I'm so thankful that none of our pain goes unnoticed by God. You are such an amazing woman Melissa, I wish you would've been standing all these years and being honored just for being who you are, because you've certainly deserved it.
You are a fantastic mother.

Jenn said...

Hope that didn't sound like one of those dumb things that people who have never adopted say...I'm so afraid I'm going to be insensitive without knowing it.